“As a writer, you live more intensively, using participant-observation. You do things, using all senses, knowing you will write about them afterwards.”
Hazel’s three hints to aspiring writers are: “Write regularly. Persist. And always consider your reader – who are you writing for?”
- Writing During Isolation
- Hazel’s Articles on ‘How to Write’
- Videos for Aspiring Writers
- Books and Workshops for Aspiring Writers
- Useful links -Literary links & professional organisations
1. Writing During Isolation
Try downloadable, free activities here.
1. Hazel’s 10 Minute Writing Challenge.pdf Time limits.
3. Compliments Jar.pdf Cheer up with home-made compliments.
4. J’ Accuse.pdf In Court. Water is on trial, accused of destroying people and property. Fun script to act/record.
5. River Snag Role-Playing Script.pdf problem-solving, scripting & acting could take a week.
6. T for Title Story.pdf Link your favourite author’s titles into YOUR new story.
7. Scrabble Dog Cartoon Strip.pdf: design 3 frames about funny stuff during the Lockdown.
e.g. Dog poo with a difference when letters are eaten and dropped.
8. Pandemic Pet.pdf : Make up a pretend pet friend. Draw it. Picture book links.
9. Vegetable Garden of Guesses.pdf, Sample Clue: A sneaker near the beans = runner beans. Families are making veggie gardens, but this is VERY different. Give clues. Make guesses. Story provided.Illustrate it.
10. Log It : Each day write ONE GOOD THING which happened around your place. Draw it. e.g. Go on an Alphabet Walk and identify an object for each letter a-z.
11. Family (10 minute) Gallery: Self-portrait in 10 minutes. Turn one wall into an art gallery. Each day, add 10 minute sketch of a family member or a gift drawing for them.Add date.
13. Making your own e-book series. Read one as a family serial (sitting outside in fresh air). Then write your own ‘What happens next?’
Books help you travel anywhere.
14. Simple Orienteering (STEM activity) Map your house or garden. Mark 10 places with numbers. Jot numbered clues on list.
Suggest activity at each place e.g. Throw ball into bucket 3 times, with ‘other’ hand.
Re-use map with different clues. Easy reading , junior mysteries Gang O Kids were written when our family used to orienteer.
The ‘tech’ has dated, now we have GPS etc ,but the stories work. Make up new mysteries using these characters.
15. Young Brothers Jack and Harry published their own picture book ‘The Little Green Frog’ about resilience.
The frog keeps trying.
16. Designer Book Mask
My kind neighbours designed me Hippo book masks.
Design your own.
2. Hazel’s Articles on How To Write
Writing for Different Purposes, Diverse Audiences and Getting Published
- Hints for Choosing Your Book Title.pdf
- Will You Self Publish?.pdf hints for family history or memoir projects.
- How to Self-Edit .pdf
- Antarctic Vehicles Characters Viewpoint.pdf : Writing for animation and for pre-schoolers
- Hints for Getting Published
- Choosing Non Boring Titles A checklist for making your title work
- Overcoming Writer’s Block Interviewing your Fictional Characters
- Literary Tourism Being a Reader-Traveller
- 13_Tips for Family Historians Marketing a Memoir.pdf
- How To Write History for Kids, in Non Boring Ways
Different Writing Techniques
3. Videos for Aspiring Writers
From Seven Steps with thanks
4. Books and Workshops for Aspiring Writers
Anthologies give a taste of different stories and writers: ‘Trust Me Too’,anthology contains Hazel’s satirical ‘Tag’ story about tattoos, graffiti and copyright. W.I.P.article about writing’Tag’ (60.41 KB) is a useful student or teacher resource. Third anthology ‘Rich and Rare’ , listed for CBCA Awards, includes Hazel’s ‘Scam’ story.
5. Useful links –Literary links & professional organisations
Australian Society Of Authors
National organisation for authors which provides contract advice, the stylefile showcase for illustrators ( (https://asastylefile.com/) and professional support. Suggested fees for author speaking, and information about rights such as ELR and PLR (Educational Lending Rights and Public Lending Right) and CA payments (Copyright Agency Licensing) which are important income sources for writers.
T 02 9211 1004
Suite C1.06 22-36 Mountain St Ultimo NSW 2007 Australia
CA- The Australian Copyright Management Company
International organisation of authors and illustrators which offers marketing and conferences.
Encourages the enjoyment of writing whether beginners or published.
Useful links – Publishers of Hazel’s Books
- Alchemy distributes Hazel’s ebooks.
- Ford Street Publishing
- Penguin RandomHouse
- The Experiment
- Five Senses Education
Useful Links – Other Australian authors and illustrators
Listed below are other Australian authors and illustrators who write for children, young adults and other genres.