Mum on Wheels
Title: Mum on Wheels
P.O.D. also available
Publisher: Ebook Alchemy linking to availability online including Kobo, Amazon & Booktopia.
History of This Book
Vintage author Hazel Edwards often gets fan mail about her early books which adult readers now want to share with their families.
'Mum on Wheels' (Hodder and Stoughton 1980 ) was Hazel's first junior fiction published in the same year as ‘There’s a Hippopotamus on Our Roof Eating Cake’.
It was inspired by her cousin John who was in a wheelchair and dedicated to him.
What's The Story About?
When Mum comes home from hospital in a wheelchair, Leanne and her grandfather have to do things differently. After a birthday party, with Mr Magic, Leanne has a great idea for Mum.
This updated version shows how the importance of problem-solving via ‘good’ ideas remains. Even if words change.
For readers just starting with chapter books. But the ideas are for all ages.
Magic the Cat
- Many Para Olympic athletes perform in wheelchairs. Find out about the different sports played e.g. wheelchair rugby.
- If you were a designer, what devices would you include on your latest wheelchair ? What problems might these solve for a real wheelchair user?
- Borrow a wheelchair, and use it for one day. What changes need to be made in your area to make places more accessible for wheels?
- Design a special number plate for the wheelchair.
- Do you need L plates for a wheelchair when you are just learning to use it?
- What's the difference between 'disability' and diffability'? If 'diffability' just means you do things differently but you still do them...
- Art and design
- Like me
Diversity In New Formats_.pdf (6.36 MB) For educators , why creating ebooks from favourite out- of- print books
like 'Mum on Wheels' is relevant.
Stay connected with Hazel!
Events & Appearances 2023
Private online mentoring 'Complete Your Book in a Year'
PROV 'Complete Your Book in a Year' starts on first Friday of each month from February, 10am-1pm. North Melb Archives.
Flexibility to go online.
23rd - 28th DARWIN
31st PROV ( substitute for April)
4th ACER Teachers' podcast 'Grief and Loss in Schools'
11th Thurs 5.30 pm OAM Association : Zoom 'Not Just a Piece of Cake: Being an Author'
Free but Book here.
22nd Author Lunch ( AMBA)
1st PROV Mini Launch