Mum on Wheels
Title: Mum on Wheels
P.O.D. also available
Publisher: Ebook Alchemy linking to availabilty online including Kobo, Amazon & Booktopia.
History of This Book
Vintage author Hazel Edwards often gets fan mail about her early books which adult readers now want to share with their families.
'Mum on Wheels' (Hodder and Stoughton 1980 ) was Hazel's first junior fiction published in the same year as ‘There’s a Hippopotamus on Our Roof Eating Cake’.
It was inspired by her cousin John who was in a wheelchair and dedicated to him.
What's The Story About?
When Mum comes home from hospital in a wheelchair, Leanne and her grandfather have to do things differently. After a birthday party, with Mr Magic, Leanne has a great idea for Mum.
This updated version shows how the importance of problem-solving via ‘good’ ideas remains. Even if words change.
For readers just starting with chapter books. But the ideas are for all ages.
Magic the Cat
- Many Para Olympic athletes perform in wheelchairs. Find out about the different sports played e.g. wheelchair rugby.
- If you were a designer, what devices would you include on your latest wheelchair ? What problems might these solve for a real wheelchair user?
- Borrow a wheelchair, and use it for one day. What changes need to be made in your area to make places more accessible for wheels?
- Design a special number plate for the wheelchair.
- Do you need L plates for a wheelchair when you are just learning to use it?
- What's the difference between 'disability' and diffability'? If 'diffability' just means you do things differently but you still do them...
- Art and design
- Like me
Diversity In New Formats_.pdf (6.36 MB) For educators , why creating ebooks from favourite out- of- print books like 'Mum on Wheels' is relevant.
Stay connected with Hazel!
Events & Appearances 2021
Private online mentoring 'Complete Your Book in a Year'
Jan 12th ZOOM U3A Nunawading Summer School 'Complete Your Book in a Year'
14th-20th Society of Women Writers Vic Book here. 'For the Love of Writing' Festival
Feb 16th ZOOM 'Role of New Media'
Feb 20th 12.15 ZOOM with Suzanne Gervay 'The Two of Us: Collaborating'
May 4th 6pm Rivoli Camberwell Dymocks 21st celebration Book
May 7th Photo shoot Seven Steps Writing .
Children's Book Week
Aug 5th 10 AM Onine about Hijabi Girl :Torrens Primary ACT
7.30 pm Online mentoring
August 6th 10 am PROV Online mentoring
August 27th AGM Society of Women Writers (Vic) 11am Zoom.
Sept 14th Australia Reads: Ambassador Hazel reading Hippo
Sept 22nd Zoom 1pm Malvern 'Survival Skills for Writers During Lockdown.'
Sept 27 th 8pm Writing Muslim Children's Books Bookings
Sept 29th Zoom 6.30-8.30 'A Night of Crime: Society of Women Writers(Vic)
Nov 10th : Judge: SWW National Writing Competition. Sydney Zoom.
Jan 11th (Tues) 10am U3A Nunawading Summer School 'Non- Boring Writing'