Opportunity for First-Timers
Even experienced children's authors & illustrators like these had to start somewhere.
( l-r Jen Mc Veity, Felicity Marshall, Krista Bell, (Hazel), Meredith Costain, Corinne Fenton, Susanne Gervay)
Photo credit: Meredith Fuller
Picture Book Opportunity for First-Timers
Schools set create-a-book projects and adults wish to design their own. Many ask Hazel for mentoring hints.
Most first-timers do not realise creating picture books is a BIG challenge.
So , as an inbetween step, Hazel offered her text (words) based on several existing stories for students to use.
Five Senses will now be publishing Hazel's original stories in a collection called 'Like Me' in October 2017, so the stories have been taken down from here.
But Hazel will leave the hints:
- beginners to explore techniques based on an existing manuscript
- appreciation of the time and skills needed in creating a work
- discussion of issues within the stories
- diversity of cross cultural stories & viewpoints
A picture book is usually 24 or 32 pages.
- Allow thinking/planning time.
- Look at lots of picture books for design ideas.
- Play with a storyboard,deciding where text and illustrations will go.
- Where will you make the page breaks? Allow for title page and endpapers.
- Design a cover so the title can be easily read and illustrations hint at the most important ideas in the story.
- Add names of author and illustrator(you).
- Or make a dummy book. Consider an app?
- Decide on the kind of illustrations: Photos? Cartoons? Collage? Pen and ink? Colour?
- Who will be your audience? Age? Reading ability?
- Write a 2 line back cover blurb
Experiment with writing a new story of your OWN and illustrating your original picture book,based on what you've learnt from this opportunity.
Picture Book Text for YOU to illustrate
A new story will be added here soon.
Stay connected with Hazel!
Events & Appearances 2018
1st Fri each month PROV 10-1pm Mentoring & Finishing Book-Length Non Fiction.
September 17th India: Chennai launch of Tamil translation of 'Fake ID' (Cre-A Publisher) by Consul.
September 19th 11.30am PREMIERE of 'Hijabi Girl' play, Watsonia Heights Primary.
October 8th 10 am Brighton Book Club 'Celebrant Sleuth'
October 11th 1-2.30 Parkdale Library 'Writing A Non Boring Family History or Memoir' workshop
October 12th 11-12.30 Wheelers Centre 'Writing a Non Boring Family History or Memoir'