Opportunity for First-Timers
Even experienced children's authors & illustrators like these had to start somewhere.
( l-r Jen Mc Veity, Felicity Marshall, Krista Bell, (Hazel), Meredith Costain, Corinne Fenton, Susanne Gervay)
Photo credit: Meredith Fuller
Picture Book Opportunity for First-Timers
Schools set create-a-book projects and adults wish to design their own. Many ask Hazel for mentoring hints.
Most first-timers do not realise creating picture books is a BIG challenge.
So , as an inbetween step, Hazel offered her text (words) based on existing, unpublished stories for students to use.
- beginners to explore techniques based on an existing manuscript
- appreciation of the time and skills needed in creating a work
- discussion of issues within the stories
- diversity of cross cultural stories & viewpoints
Picture Book Text for YOU to illustrate
A new story 'Body Parts' by Hazel has been added here so you can experiment with it as a picture book project.
(Rights remain of original text with Hazel Edwards)
This is also suitable for teenagers and family historians to illustrate.
A picture book is usually 24 or 32 pages.
- Allow thinking/planning time.
- Look at lots of picture books for design ideas.
- Play with a storyboard,deciding where text and illustrations will go.
- Where will you make the page breaks? Allow for title page and endpapers.
- Design a cover so the title can be easily read and illustrations hint at the most important ideas in the story.
- Add names of author and illustrator(you).
- Or make a dummy book. Consider an app?
- Decide on the kind of illustrations: Photos? Cartoons? Collage? Pen and ink? Colour?
- Who will be your audience? Age? Reading ability?
- Write a 2 line back cover blurb
Use one of the hippo books as a model for the page layout of your book.
Hazel's quirky memoir.
Stay connected with Hazel!
Events & Appearances 2021
Private online mentoring 'Complete Your Book in a Year'
Jan 12th ZOOM U3A Nunawading Summer School 'Complete Your Book in a Year'
14th-20th Society of Women Writers Vic Book here. 'For the Love of Writing' Festival
Feb 16th ZOOM 'Role of New Media'
Feb 20th 12.15 ZOOM with Suzanne Gervay 'The Two of Us: Collaborating'
May 4th 6pm Rivoli Camberwell Dymocks 21st celebration Book
May 7th Photo shoot Seven Steps Writing .
Children's Book Week
Aug 5th 10 AM Onine about Hijabi Girl :Torrens Primary ACT
7.30 pm Online mentoring
August 6th 10 am PROV Online mentoring
August 27th AGM Society of Women Writers (Vic) 11am Zoom.
Sept 14th Australia Reads: Ambassador Hazel reading Hippo
Sept 22nd Zoom 1pm Malvern 'Survival Skills for Writers During Lockdown.'
Sept 27 th 8pm Writing Muslim Children's Books Bookings
Sept 29th Zoom 6.30-8.30 'A Night of Crime: Society of Women Writers(Vic)
Nov 10th : Judge: SWW National Writing Competition. Sydney Zoom.
Jan 11th (Tues) 10am U3A Nunawading Summer School 'Non- Boring Writing'