Opportunity for First-Timers
Even experienced children's authors & illustrators like these had to start somewhere.
( l-r Jen Mc Veity, Felicity Marshall, Krista Bell, (Hazel), Meredith Costain, Corinne Fenton, Susanne Gervay)
Photo credit: Meredith Fuller
Picture Book Opportunity for First-Timers
Schools set create-a-book projects and adults wish to design their own. Many ask Hazel for mentoring hints.
Most first-timers do not realise creating picture books is a BIG challenge.
So , as an inbetween step, Hazel offered her text (words) based on existing, unpublished stories for students to use.
- beginners to explore techniques based on an existing manuscript
- appreciation of the time and skills needed in creating a work
- discussion of issues within the stories
- diversity of cross cultural stories & viewpoints
Picture Book Text for YOU to illustrate
A new story 'Body Parts' by Hazel has been added here so you can experiment with it as a picture book project.
(Rights remain of original text with Hazel Edwards)
This is also suitable for teenagers and family historians to illustrate.
A picture book is usually 24 or 32 pages.
- Allow thinking/planning time.
- Look at lots of picture books for design ideas.
- Play with a storyboard,deciding where text and illustrations will go.
- Where will you make the page breaks? Allow for title page and endpapers.
- Design a cover so the title can be easily read and illustrations hint at the most important ideas in the story.
- Add names of author and illustrator(you).
- Or make a dummy book. Consider an app?
- Decide on the kind of illustrations: Photos? Cartoons? Collage? Pen and ink? Colour?
- Who will be your audience? Age? Reading ability?
- Write a 2 line back cover blurb
Use one of the hippo books as a model for the page layout of your book.
Hazel's quirky memoir which is now also available via EbookAlchemy listings on audio and as an e-book as well as print.
Recorded by Voices of Today. Audible link.
Stay connected with Hazel!
Events & Appearances 2022
Private online mentoring 'Complete Your Book in a Year'
PROV 'Complete Your Book in a Year' starts on first Friday of each month, 10am-1pm. North Melb Archives.
Flexibility to go online.
3rd 10 am -1pm PROV North Melbourne
4th OAM dinner
5th 4pm Filming doco panel
1st PROV 10 am North Melbourne
17th Eltham Bookshop 3pm 'Inside Story' panel & signings
5th PROV North Melbourne
23-25th BRISBANE 'Hijabi Girl the Musical' Premiere of Larrikin Puppets
18th Witty Women Lunch: Hazelnuts