Opportunity for First-Timers
Even experienced children's authors & illustrators like these had to start somewhere.
( l-r Jen Mc Veity, Felicity Marshall, Krista Bell, (Hazel), Meredith Costain, Corinne Fenton, Susanne Gervay)
Photo credit: Meredith Fuller
Picture Book Opportunity for First-Timers
Schools set create-a-book projects and adults wish to design their own. Many ask Hazel for mentoring hints.
Most first-timers do not realise creating picture books is a BIG challenge.
So , as an inbetween step, Hazel offered her text (words) based on existing, unpublished stories for students to use.
- beginners to explore techniques based on an existing manuscript
- appreciation of the time and skills needed in creating a work
- discussion of issues within the stories
- diversity of cross cultural stories & viewpoints
Picture Book Text for YOU to illustrate
A new story 'Body Parts' by Hazel has been added here so you can experiment with it as a picture book project.
(Rights remain of original text with Hazel Edwards)
This is also suitable for teenagers and family historians to illustrate.
A picture book is usually 24 or 32 pages.
- Allow thinking/planning time.
- Look at lots of picture books for design ideas.
- Play with a storyboard,deciding where text and illustrations will go.
- Where will you make the page breaks? Allow for title page and endpapers.
- Design a cover so the title can be easily read and illustrations hint at the most important ideas in the story.
- Add names of author and illustrator(you).
- Or make a dummy book. Consider an app?
- Decide on the kind of illustrations: Photos? Cartoons? Collage? Pen and ink? Colour?
- Who will be your audience? Age? Reading ability?
- Write a 2 line back cover blurb
Use one of the hippo books as a model for the page layout of your book.
Hazel's quirky memoir which is now also available via EbookAlchemy listings on audio and as an e-book as well as print.
Recorded by Voices of Today. Audible link.
Stay connected with Hazel!
Events & Appearances 2022
Private online mentoring 'Complete Your Book in a Year'
PROV 'Complete Your Book in a Year' starts on first Friday of each month, 10am-1pm. North Melb Archives.
Flexibility to go online.
7th PROV Nth Melb.
4th PROV Nth Melbourne
26th Lalor Library Booklovers' Festival (Hijabi Girl)
2nd PROV Mini Book Launch
9th PROV Survivors 10 am ZOOM
6th Jan PROV
3rd Feb PROV
3rd March PROV